Sunday, January 10, 2016

Santa Cruz Island (Day 2 - Red)



Dear Mr. Pelican,
            Today was finally the day I would get to see you in person. I woke up with such excitement that I couldn’t hold in a scream. I made my way to breakfast for a delectable meal of delicious island fruits and eggs, all while thinking about the first moment I would get to lay my eyes on you. I shuffled to grab my snorkeling gear and loaded the musty bus with my fellow classmates where I would make my way all knowing I was just that much closer to you. I finally got on the boat and was mesmerized by the blue color of the ocean and the salty smell that lingered in the air. I couldn’t help but think about how we were now watching the soft waves of the same water. The boat kicked into gear and as we made our way to Daphne Major, every birdcall I heard I eagerly looked for you in the distance. I couldn’t believe it. I was just minutes away from finally getting to meet you in person.  As we circled the island, I kept my eyes peeled for your unique body shape and water repellant feathers. Then, it happened. There you were. Out of the corner of my eye I see you swoop down, open your intriguing beak, and swipe a small fish out of the water. I couldn’t believe it. Shaking with excitement, I slipped on my purple wetsuit and blue mask and jumped after you, still being watchful for sea urchins and barnacles attached to the rocks below me. At first the shock of the water along with seeing you for the first time was overwhelming, but then I got a sense of comfort when I heard your masculine call. The white-tipped shark circling below me, and schools of fish passing by were no distraction for me when you were in my sight.  The Nazca Boobies, Blue-footed boobies, Swallowtail gulls, and Terns were no match for your beauty and size. As I climbed back onto the boat and we started to drive away I said a silent goodbye not knowing you would follow me to my next adventure.
            With great glee, we made our way to the white sandy beach, where I was pleasantly surprised to see you once more. I stepped off the boat and made my way across the beach toward you watching out for horse flies, sea turtle nests, and thorns stuck in the sand. When you playfully swooped down a little too close to my friend, I couldn’t help but laugh. It was hard to focus on your beauty because just a few feet away, two sea turtles were “creating life.” I couldn’t help but wonder if the male turtle was good enough for the female to want to reproduce with him because I know the females are able to choose which sperm they will keep. As I ate my lunch of chicken, black bean balls, and potatoes I knew my time with you was coming to an end. I looked to the sky for your familiar flight as the boat drove away. A few hours later as we watched the sunset, we were asked to remember each of the species we encountered today. When we got the group of native species and I passed by your name, I thought of the great day that we had and hoped I would see you some time soon. I count the minutes before I get to see your face once more.
Love,
Your Secret Admirer

- Ava L, Ella M,  Emily T

No comments:

Post a Comment